live! or die trying

trying to travel as much as I can, while avoiding a job for as long as I can.

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Washed out weekend at NRG/Summersville - Aug 26-28

The weather forecasters have failed me once again. I'm beginning to loose faith in weather forecasting, it seem more like voodoo magic than science these days. I know there's always some uncertainties and errors to forecasting, but it's getting ridiculous. Here was the progression of weekend weather forecast as seen last week:


  • Wednesday - weekend is looking good, only 30% chance of rain, high in the low 80s. Looks like great climbing weather!
  • Thursday - oh the forecast changed. Now there's a 50% chance of rain. We can still go DWS if it rains.
  • Friday - Ok, now there's a 70% chance of rain over the weekend. Hey what do you know, it's raining now.


For my 3-day weekend, Megan and I went down to the New hoping to do some climbing. But half way into the drive on Friday it started raining, and it didn't stop until Saturday evening. My tent was newly waterproofed, and we had a tarp set up over the pinic table, so at least we had some dry areas to sit under and cook. And the temperature was mild enough that I wasn't sticky hot at night. However, it was a long drive just for two nights of car camping in the rain.

By Sunday morning everything was still soaked and slimy. We generally try to make the best out of any condition, but we hiked out to one of the climbing areas, took one look at the rock, and turned around and hiked back. Nothing looked like it was pleasant to climb on. I'm getting so sick of the east coast weather.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home