live! or die trying

trying to travel as much as I can, while avoiding a job for as long as I can.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Maryland Weather, I curse you!

I had last Friday off as part of my Compressed Work Schedule, and Monday was MLK Day, so it was a rare 4-day weekend for me. Unfortunately the weather sucked, so the weekend ended up being pretty uneventful.

Friday I went to Great Falls with Tre'. It was in the 50s and really foggy in the morning, which meant the rock was really slimy. We went to Aid Box and set up three routes: Diagonal, Lost Arrow, and PV Wall. Aid Box was a special place for me, because that was where I climbed outdoors for the first time. It was July of 2003, and I flailed for 10 minutes on a 30-foot 5.5, and couldn't get up a 5.7 without my belayer hauling on the other end of the rope. Ahhhhh, good times.

I also went to the REI in Rockville to pick up an order and returned two of my Aliens due to the recent CCH recall.

Saturday it was pouring rain as forecasted. I stayed home, installed the new toe strap for my snowboard binding that I got from REI, tuned the edge of my board using the new edge tuner I got from REI, and waxed it. After the snow storm in December, we haven't had any new snow, and the weather has constantly been above 50 degrees. I doubt I'll get any use out of my snowboard before I leave Maryland, which really sucks. I was waxing my board because I was expecting to put it away for the season, and feeling glad that I will be leaving soon. The crappy weather in Maryland was really starting to make me mad.

Sunday was sunny, cold, but very windy. I stayed home again, trying to get some things organized in my room, did laundry, watched some TV, and generally just being very unproductive. But tomorrow... tomorrow I will go to Great Falls again.

Monday I woke up early to drive up to GF. Met with Jerry, Jason, and Carlene in the parking lot. John, Lily, and Gil showed up later. We dropped a rope on almost every route in Aid Box, and since it was colder and drier than Friday, I had a much better time working on PV Wall. But I think I'm still a long way before I can climb that route clean. It was a pretty good day of climbing, the weather was perfect for me, and it was good to see a few people I haven't climbed with in a while, and meet a couple new climbers to DC.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you're luckily you'll be able to snowboard in Australia at the end of May.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home