live! or die trying

trying to travel as much as I can, while avoiding a job for as long as I can.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Feb 1-14: Climbing on Mt. Kinabalu, Malaysia


I spend two weeks on Mt. Kinabalu with Logan (Australia) and Brad (US) climbing on the granite faces around the summit. The climbing was ok, but the hike up and then the hike down, with climbing gear, camera gear, and two weeks worth of food was just too much for me. My body nearly broke under the 90 lbs packs we were carrying, up a 13300 feet mountain. We (strictly speaking it was Logan) made the first ascent of a 5.12b up there, so that was really cool. But will I ever do a trip like this again? Not likely. Even the FA wasn't worth all the pain. My body is just not build for carrying 66% of my bodyweight up and down a big hill.



Sorting out gear at the base of Mt. Kinabalu.



Edd going nuts. Photo: Logan Barber



Shot from the summit: Lowe's Peak.



Our home for two weeks.



Raining day. Photo: Logan Barber



















Logan in the second crux of his new route: Alpine Birdie (5.12b, 3 pitches)







1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home